Updated: 04/25/2014 9:39 PM
Created: 04/25/2014 3:27 PM KSTP.com
By: Megan Stewart
A father and his 3-year-old son are recovering at Regions Hospital in St. Paul on Friday after a fire broke out in their apartment complex Friday morning.
Officials say the pair was trapped on the third floor of their apartment complex located on 7th and Hazel streets in St. Paul. Fire crews used a thermo-imaging camera to locate them quickly.
When firefighters rescued them, they were unconscious. Their exit was blocked by flames that started in the living room.
During the incident, a team of EMS doctors from Regions Hospital was just a block away. They were in the neighborhood Friday morning doing a ride-along and were able to reach the pair before the ambulance did.
The St. Paul Fire Department said the fire was caused from a space heater that was operating too close to a couch.
The Red Cross is assisting three adults and two children following the fire.