Updated: 03/31/2014 11:22 PM
Created: 03/31/2014 4:13 PM KSTP.com
By: Ellen Galles
A man in Northeast Minneapolis used something most of us have to save his life - his bedroom door.
A fire broke out in the house on the 2100 block of Marshall Street NE earlier this month. It started on the couch and spread to the second floor where he was sleeping.
Investigators say thankfully the bedroom door was closed, and it may have helped save his life by keeping the smoke, chemicals and flames at bay while he escaped.
"It's a life-saving barrier between you and that fire, and it gets you that much more time to get out before fire can get through the door," said Chief Perry Ebner, Fire Marshal for Minneapolis.
Ebner says in this particular case, having the bedroom door closed may have given the man an extra six minutes to escape.
If you install a door with a fire-resistance rating, it can give you an extra 20 minutes to escape.