Updated: 03/28/2014 6:35 AM
Created: 03/27/2014 8:05 PM KSTP.com
By: Cassie Hart
Part of a residential building in Minneapolis was evacuated after an electrical fire Thursday.
The call reporting a smoke odor at a residential building, located on the 600 block of Cedar Avenue South, came in around 7:15 p.m. A fire was discovered in the basement utility vault and was quickly extinguished.
Xcel Energy cut the power to the building, which resulted in power being lost at a neighboring building for a short time.
Xcel Energy called for the evacuation of the first three floors of the building as a precaution, according to Minneapolis Fire Department. All residents were evacuated to a community center within the building complex. They have since been allowed back into their apartments.
An electrical engineer on the scene reports the power may remain out overnight, but a backup generator is providing heat.
No injuries were reported.
The scene is near where an apartment building exploded and caught on fire on New Year's Day, claiming the lives of three people and hospitalizing 14 others.