abc
QUICK LINKS:

Lakeville Grad Pulled from House Fire Near UND Dies

Updated: 03/18/2014 10:36 PM
Created: 03/18/2014 5:39 PM KSTP.com
By: Cassie Hart

A Lakeville man critically injured after being pulled from a house fire by his friend near the University of North Dakota campus last Sunday has died, according to his family.

A statement sent out from the family of Matthew Heisler said they had to say goodbye to their son Tuesday. It also said Heisler's organs will be donated so others can live, according to Heisler's wishes.

According to his CaringBridge page, Heisler, 21, was alone at his Grand Forks home when a fire broke out. At about 2:40 a.m., his roommate Ryan Nelson came home and saw smoke coming through the windows.

The CaringBridge page said Nelson ran to the back of the house where Heisler’s room is and used a brick to break a window to get in. Heisler was not in his bed, but Nelson went back outside the house and around to the front, forcing his way inside.

Nelson eventually found Heisler not breathing and with no heartbeat. CPR was administered to get Heisler’s heart started again before was taken to a hospital. Heisler was airlifted to HCMC, where he was in critical condition, and later died.

Authorities said the fire was likely caused by unattended cooking.

Heisler was a football player at Lakeville North High School and an avid outdoorsman.

Photo: Matt Heisler/ Facebook

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Overcast
34°
36° | 33°
  • Feels like: 27° F
  • Wind: SSE 9mph
  • Humidity: 96%
  • Mon Light rain
    38° | 32°
  • Tue Chance of a few snow showers
    33° | 22°
  • Wed Chance of a few snow showers
    28° | 18°
  • Thu More clouds than sun
    26° | 20°

Video

KSTP NEWS