Updated: 03/01/2014 2:07 PM
Created: 03/01/2014 8:39 AM KSTP.com
By: Cassie Hart
The five children killed in a fire at a duplex in North Minneapolis on Valentine’s Day are being laid to rest Saturday.
The cause of the fire is being blamed on a space heater that had been running non-stop for days.
Troy Lewis, 60, says he woke up to smoke, climbed out of the window of his duplex on the 2800 block of North Colfax Avenue, and then went back into the residence looking for his seven children.
Eight-year-old Christopher, 6-year-old Mary, 3-year-old Troy, 4-year-old Fanny, and 18-month-old Gwendolyn didn't survive.
Their funeral will be held at Shiloh Temple Church in Minneapolis.
Lewis tells KSTP that several rooms in the apartment he rented had no heat, so he kept them warm overnight with space heaters and a stove. Meanwhile, a spokesman for the management company said he was never told the heat wasn't working.
Donations to the family can be made at TCF Bank in the names of the surviving children, Shaca and Electra Lewis.