Medical Examiner ID's 5 Kids Killed in North Mpls. Duplex Fire

Updated: 02/18/2014 11:22 AM
Created: 02/17/2014 5:48 PM
By: Leslie Dyste

Authorities have identified the five kids who were killed in a tragic duplex fire in North Minneapolis Friday.

According to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, 6-year-old Mary Lewis, 3-year-old Troy Lewis, 8-year-old Christopher Lewis, 4-year-old Fannie Lewis and 18-month-old Gwendolyn Lewis died in the fire.

The medical examiner says Troy, Christopher and Gwendolyn died due to smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning from a house fire, while Mary died due to apparent smoke inhalation and thermal injury, and Fannie died due to "inhalation of products of combustion from a house fire."

Two kids remain in critical condition. Troy Lewis, the kids' father, is also hospitalized at Hennepin County Medical Center in satisfactory condition. His brother says he has been comforted by the outpouring of support. 

"When you try and wrap your mind around it, it's startling. The outpouring is helping us get through this," said Roy Lewis.

He also says Troy Lewis has been repeatedly checking in on the two surviving kids a few hospital floors up from his. "It's hard to keep him in his room. He's insisting on going up to their rooms," he said.

The Minneapolis Federation of Teachers is collecting donations on behalf of the family. They are accepting everything from monetary donations to household items.

Authorities continue to investigate the fire.

Minneapolis/St. Paul

36° | 26°
  • Feels like: 32° F
  • Wind: 0mph
  • Humidity: 73%
  • Wed Considerable cloudiness
    42° | 28°
  • Thu Morning clouds followed by afternoon sun
    30° | 15°
  • Fri Sunshine
    24° | 10°
  • Sat Partly cloudy
    18° | 2°