Updated: 01/20/2014 5:34 AM
Created: 01/19/2014 7:25 AM KSTP.com
By: Megan Stewart
Ten people in Minneapolis are out of the hospital Sunday night, recovering after a carbon monoxide leak at their apartment building in Northeast Minneapolis.
All of the renters, including kids, escaped without serious injury.
Authorities say the residents were taken to Hennepin County Medical Center. Most of the transported residents were released Saturday night, but were unable to go back to the joint building and apartment complex at 1846 Central Ave. The Red Cross is assisting victims.
Residents say they were feeling dizzy, had headaches and some were feeling nauseous for the past month, but it wasn't until three days ago that the landlord bought a carbon monoxide detector.
The detector went off Saturday night and one resident called 9-1-1. "My alarm starts to go off, and I looked at it and it said "seek immediate air". So at that point I called 9-1-1 and got my family out of there," said Diono Alvin.
The building's heating system has been disabled, according to Center Point Energy. Authorities say the carbon monoxide leak came from the boiler.
Alvin says he's been putting pressure on his landlord to provide a CO detector for months. "I just got one the other day, and thank God I did, because look what happened," said Alvin.
The landlord said he has always provided carbon monoxide detectors to each tenant; it's state law.
The state passed a law requiring carbon monoxide detectors to be near every bedroom. But detectors that were installed when the law was enacted six years ago may be expired. Most filters have a life-span of three to seven years.
During the winter, Center Point Energy said it sees 10 percent more cases of carbon monoxide leaks than they do in warmer months, because more people are using their furnace, boilers, and space heaters without proper ventilation.