abc
QUICK LINKS:

Archbishop Nienstedt Denies Inappropriately Touching Minor

Updated: 12/17/2013 11:56 AM
Created: 12/17/2013 11:32 AM KSTP.com
By: Scott Theisen

The head of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is stepping aside from public ministry after an allegation that he touched an underage male.
    
Archbishop John Nienstedt denies the allegations, but is removing himself from ministry pending an investigation.
    
The archdiocese says the incident allegedly occurred in 2009 after a confirmation ceremony. Nienstedt is accused of inappropriately touching an underage male on the buttocks during a group photography session.
    
The archdiocese learned of the allegation last week and instructed the person who brought it forward to go to police.
    
In a letter posted Tuesday on the archdiocese website, Nienstedt says the allegation is "absolutely and entirely false." He says he hopes the investigation will be thorough and quick so he can return to work.

Statement from the Archdiocese about Abuse Allegations by KSTPTV


 

Letter from the Archbishop by KSTPTV

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Scattered Clouds
82°
80° | 60°
  • Feels like: 82° F
  • Wind: WNW 9mph
  • Humidity: 33%
  • Thu A few clouds
    82° | 62°
  • Fri A few thunderstorms possible
    80° | 64°
  • Sat Slight chance of a thunderstorm
    84° | 64°
  • Sun Isolated thunderstorms
    77° | 58°

Video

KSTP NEWS