abc
QUICK LINKS:

Man Still Critical after Suffering Electric Shock

Updated: 10/10/2013 7:53 AM
Created: 10/09/2013 6:37 AM KSTP.com
By: Jennie Olson

A 24-year-old man is in critical condition after climbing a utility pole early Wednesday morning and getting shocked and burned.

The incident happened around 2 a.m. at 14th Avenue and Seventh Street near the University of Minnesota campus.

Police say Steven McKinney of Plymouth, who has been described as an experienced climber, came in contact with a live wire and accidentally shocked himself. He then caught on fire and fell to the ground.

McKinney is a former University of Minnesota student, according to campus police.

A passerby saw the man and tried to put the flames out. McKinney was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center with burns over his body.

Police say the transformer blew up and knocked out power in the area. Witnesses say the explosion was as loud as lightning.


Minneapolis/St. Paul

Overcast
42°
66° | 57°
  • Feels like: 35° F
  • Wind: ESE 13mph
  • Humidity: 89%
  • Wed Afternoon showers and thunderstorms
    70° | 54°
  • Thu Mix of sun and clouds
    68° | 48°
  • Fri Showers possible
    55° | 40°
  • Sat Mix of sun and clouds
    56° | 42°

Video

KSTP NEWS