Vanska to Return for Minnesota Orchestra Farewell
Former Minnesota Orchestra conductor Osmo Vanska
Photo: Minnesota Orchestra
Former Minnesota Orchestra conductor Osmo Vanska is returning to the stage to lead his former musicians in what amounts to three farewell concerts.
Vanska quit his post earlier this week over the extended lockout that has idled the orchestra for more than a year.
He'll be back to conduct concerts Friday and Saturday at Ted Mann Concert Hall at the University of Minnesota. Musicians said in a prepared statement that the concerts will be Vanska's thank-you and farewell to orchestra fans.
High demand led to an additional concert being scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday. Tickets for that concert go on sale at 8 a.m. Friday.
The orchestra board has asked musicians to take pay cuts of as much as 25 percent.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Group of Minn. Lawmakers Call for Resignation of Orchestra Management
- Minnesota Orchestra Talks Break Off Again
- Lawmaker Suggests 'Community Ownership' of Minn. Orchestra
- Vanska to Return for Minnesota Orchestra Farewell
- Famed Conductor Resigns From Minn. Orchestra
- Lockout Could Mean Resignation of Minn. Orchestra Conductor
- Minn. Orchestra Musicians Reject Latest Proposal
- Minnesota Orchestra Musicians to Vote Saturday
- Minnesota Orchestra Makes New Contract Offer
- Minn. Orchestra says Musicians Let Offer Expire