Project 'Heat's On' Offers Free Furnace Checks for Some
With October just days away, John Sherrell is getting ready for the colder temperatures.
"I tried to fire up the furnace and nothing happened," said Sherrell.
But after suffering a brain injury in a 2004 motorcycle accident, and living solely on disability, he can't keep up with things like he used to.
"I had to learn to walk and talk all over again," he said.
Project 'Heat's On' offers free furnace checks and maintenance to those who can't afford to do it themselves due to age or disability.
Chad Rubey is a professional union contractor volunteering his time and equipment to help. "It's better to do it before you realize there's a problem," said Rubey.
Of all the heating systems they check, 5 percent are found to be unsafe.
"People die from carbon monoxide poisoning," said Rubey.
Sherrell's furnace was a possible health risk. Without this program, he'd be spending the winter with a broken furnace and opening himself up to danger.
"Help each other out - we'll get through this thing called life," said Sherrell.
Ramsey County Community Action Holds the program once a year. This year, the checks were made on Sept. 28. Demand was up and sign-up was full months in advance.