Father of Kira Steger Confident in Murder Trial Prosecution
Kira Steger's dad waits for an elevator to take him up stairs to a hall of justice. It is the second day of testimony in the murder trial of Steger's husband, Jeffery Trevino. With family by his side they listen to the gruesome evidence presented by prosecutors.
"We hear a lot of testimony from our witnesses and stuff and then cross examination of the defense throws us for a loop sometimes. But we're really confident the way the prosecution is handling it," Jay Steger said.
Kira was last seen on Feb. 21 and her body was recovered May 8 in the Mississippi River. Jay Steger says, having to sit in the courtroom and look at Trevino is gut wrenching.
"It's very hard to come here. We've got a lot of support from the family. We've got family members up from Texas, Fort Worth, Houston and Wisconsin of course and we're united," he said.
On day two jurors heard an array of testimony from Jeffrey Trevino's 15-year-old daughter. She talked about nose bleeds at her dad's house. The couples roommate, Mathew Roff, also testified he didn't see or hear anything unusual inside the house that day.
And finally, Trevino's reaction to his wife's friends trying to help find her through Facebook.
KSTP's Todd Wilson asked Defense Attorney David Mccormick if jumping from subject to subject is normal in a murder trial.
"All murder cases are a bit of a mess by nature of them being a murder case. Because rarely do you have somebody see the person do it. You've got a dead body, the pressure of the media and a defense attorney trying to undo it. And what I understand from the testimony they landed a few punches," he said.
The murder trial resumes Monday.
- Jeffery Trevino Sentenced to 27 Years, Kira Steger’s Family Wanted More
- Friends, Family Say Goodbye to Kira Steger
- Kira Steger's Family Plans to Lay Her to Rest
- Court Asked to Toss Jeffery Trevino's Murder Conviction
- INTERVIEW: Defense Attorney Weighs in on Trevino Trial
- NEWS CONFERENCE: Steger Family Speaks Following Verdict in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Kira Steger's Father: Justice Has Been Done
- Testimony: Trevino Concerned About Missing Wife's 'Stuff'
- Judge: Closing Arguments Expected Tuesday in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Expert: Blood Found in Kira Steger's Home