Terrance Franklin Family Attorney Alleges Cover-Up
An attorney for a man shot and killed by Minneapolis police officers back in May believes the Hennepin County grand jury handed down a decision based on half the evidence.
"The individual who we believe was the primary shooter in this situation has a significant track record with issues with African Americans," said Mike Padden, the attorney for the family of Terrance Franklin.
Secondly, why haven't the police interviewed a man named Jimmy Gaines? Padden says Gaines video-taped the event on his cell phone.
"So, if they never interviewed him they certainly didn't engage in any attempt to enhance these images and those sounds," Padden said.
When KSTP Reporter Todd Wilson pressed him on whether Terrance Franklin grabbed an officer's gun, he says, "no way."
"Our position is that it never happened. If that happened he would have had to be suicidal; he wasn't suicidal," Padden said.
Padden says "dodgy investigation work" is what's going on in this investigation, not with the Hennepin County Attorney's Office but with the Minneapolis Police Department.
"We believe there was a cover up. So we believe when the entire evidence is presented it will show that," he said.
What's the next step in this case? Padden says he will ask for all the evidence. From there sometime next week he will hold a press conference to point out some of the evidence they have. He will then begin a civil lawsuit and at some point he will ask the Federal Government to investigate this case.
- Dash Cam Video Released in Deadly Mpls. Squad vs. Motorcycle Crash
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Police Chief Discusses Fatal Motorcycle Crash
- Dash Cam Video: Deadly Crash Between Mpls. Squad and Motorcycle
- 2 MPD Police Officers Shot During Arrest of Terrance Franklin Receive Purple Heart
- Friends, Family Demand Justice for Terrance Franklin
- Report Shows Chaotic Moments Before Terrance Franklin's Death
- No Charges Against Mpls. Police in Death of Terrance Franklin
- INTERVIEW: Attorney for Terrance Franklin: 'We Believe There's a Cover Up'
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Officers Cleared of Wrong Doing in Shooting
- Terrance Franklin Family Attorney Alleges Cover-Up