Mother of Navy Yard Shooter 'So, So Very Sorry'
Aaron Alexis, 34, suspect killed in Washington Navy Yard shooting.
Photo courtesy of the FBI.
The mother of the man who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard says she is "so, so very sorry that this has happened."
Cathleen Alexis said Wednesday in New York City that she does not know why her son, Aaron, did what he did and she will never be able to ask him.
The mother read a statement at her home in Brooklyn. She concluded, "My heart is broken."
Thirty-four-year-old Aaron Alexis opened fire at the Navy Yard on Monday before he was killed in a shootout with police.
Authorities say he had been suffering a host of serious mental problems including paranoia and a sleep disorder.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Navy Yard Gunman's Doctor before Rampage: 'No Problem There'
- Navy Plans New Entry at DC Building Where 12 Died
- Family of Navy Yard Shooting Victim Files Lawsuit
- FBI: Surveillance Video and Photos of DC Navy Yard Shooter
- Hundreds Honor 2 Fathers Killed at Navy Yard
- FBI: Navy Yard Gunman Left Note about Radio Waves
- Report: Navy Yard Shooter Lied about Previous Arrest, Debts
- Obama: To Honor Victims, We 'Have to Change'
- ATF Kept Out of The Loop After Navy Yard Shooting
- 'I Felt Him Breathe': Escape from the Navy Yard