Obama: 'Cowardly Act' at Washington Navy Yard Kills Patriots
President Barack Obama is mourning what he called "yet another mass shooting" in the United States that he says took the life of American patriots.
Obama promised to make sure, quote, "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."
He said several people were shot Monday morning at the Washington Navy Yard about 3 1/2 miles from the White House, and some were killed.
He said the victims were "courageous Americans" who knew about the risks of serving overseas, but wouldn't have expected such "unimaginable violence" at home.
The White House says the president has been receiving frequent briefings about the unfolding situation by senior aides.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family of Navy Yard Shooting Victim Files Lawsuit
- FBI: Surveillance Video and Photos of DC Navy Yard Shooter
- Hundreds Honor 2 Fathers Killed at Navy Yard
- FBI: Navy Yard Gunman Left Note about Radio Waves
- Report: Navy Yard Shooter Lied about Previous Arrest, Debts
- Obama: To Honor Victims, We 'Have to Change'
- ATF Kept Out of The Loop After Navy Yard Shooting
- 'I Felt Him Breathe': Escape from the Navy Yard
- Obama, First Lady, to Attend Navy Yard Memorial
- How Can Red Flags be Missed like Navy Shooter?