Betting Agencies Have Big Day on Royal Baby Names
Photo: MGN Online
Bookies are having a banner day as thousands of Britons place bets on the name of the child that will be born to Prince William and his wife, Kate.
Ladbrokes took 50,000 bets in the hours after the Duchess of Cambridge went into labor Monday. Company spokesman Alex Donohue says the public has rushed to put small amounts of money - such as a pound - on the soon-to- be-born royal infant's name because they "want to be involved."
"Never underestimate the British public's obsession with the royal family," he said.
So far, the money is on Alexandra for a girl and James for a boy.
The public may have to wait, though. It is not uncommon for the palace to take its time to choose just the right name.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Queen Elizabeth Meets New Royal Heir
- Reaction to Birth of a Royal Heir in the UK
- William, Kate, Show Off Newborn Royal Baby Boy
- Betting Agencies Have Big Day on Royal Baby Names
- TIMELINE: Prince William and Kate
- It's a Boy! UK's Kate Gives Birth to Royal Heir
- Baby Buzz Proves Celeb Power of Britain's Royals
- Procedure: How the World Will Learn about Royal Baby's Birth
- WEB EXTRA: 10 Royal Baby Traditions to Know