Biden to Hold Gun Control Event Next Week
Image: MGN Online
Vice President Joe Biden is planning a gun control event next Tuesday at the White House.
It's Biden's first event focusing specifically on gun control since a major Senate vote on expanding background checks failed in April, although the White House held a mental health conference earlier in June. Strengthening mental health care was among the executive actions President Barack Obama took to reduce gun violence after the December shooting in Newtown, Conn.
An invitation obtained by The Associated Press says Biden will deliver remarks. The focus will be President Barack Obama's plan to protect communities and children by reducing gun violence.
Biden and Obama have said they're not done pushing gun control even though momentum has stalled in Congress. Last week, Biden sent an email to Democrats saying he has complete faith Congress will pass meaningful gun laws if everything is done to make it happen.
The White House confirmed the event will take place, but wouldn't disclose any details.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Gov't Gets Poor Marks on Protecting Gun Rights
- Biden to Hold Gun Control Event Next Week
- Scaled-Back Gun Bill Headed for Minn. Senate Vote
- Senators Discuss Changing Background Checks Bill
- House DFLer Blasts Speaker for Dropping Gun Bill
- Rahamim: Disappointed, But Progress on Gun Control
- Minn. House Speaker: No Gun Bills This Year
- As Gun Measures Stall, Rural Dems Hold Key
- A New Front for Gun Background Checks: The Ballot
- Manchin: Gun Bill to be Reintroduced