Conn. Bill Includes Up to $50M for Newtown School
Sandy Hook Elementary
Connecticut lawmakers are setting aside up to $50 million to help Newtown build a new school to replace the one where a shooting massacre took place last year.
The money was tucked into a bonding bill passed Wednesday, the final day of the legislative session. It's among municipal grants for infrastructure projects and programs including planning, property acquisition, site preparation and construction.
A Newtown task force last month voted to tear down Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six educators were killed. It voted to construct a new building on the site.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Thursday the state left it up to the town's residents to decide what to do with the school. He says these are the people "who have been most adversely impacted."
Efforts are being made to secure federal money.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Father of Sandy Hook Shooter Opens Up in 1st Interview
- Conn. Gun Owners Rush to Register Weapons, Ammo
- Investigation Reveals Disturbing Picture of Newtown School Shooter
- How to Talk with Your Kids About the Newtown Shooting
- Local Minn. Events to Honor Sandy Hook Victims
- Some from Newtown Join Vigil at National Cathedral
- Newtown's Year: Horror, Grief and Tough Choices
- Newtown Asks for Privacy, Kindness on 1-Year Mark
- 911 Calls Show Anguish and Tension in Conn. School
- Conn. to End Fight of Release of Newtown 911 Calls