ABC News Source: Boston Bombing Suspect Responding Sporadically in Writing to Questions
ABC News reports a source told reporter Pierre Thomas the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is awake and responding sporadically in writing to questions.
The source says Tsarnaev is being questioned about other cell members and unexploded bombs.
According to the report, details on Tsarnaev's answers have not been revealed.
A U.S. senator says Tsarnaev was shot in the throat, which raised questions about his ability to speak to investigators.
Senate Intelligence Committee member Sen. Dan Coats of Indiana told ABC's "This Week" that there are questions over whether Tsarnaev will be able to talk again.
Tsarnaev was captured from a tarp-covered boat in a suburban Boston yard Friday night and remained hospitalized in serious condition Sunday.
Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, were in a shootout with police early Friday. Tamerlan was killed and Dzhokhar left the scene bleeding.
A Massachusetts police official says the brothers didn't have gun permits.
Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas told The Associated Press in an interview Sunday that neither Tamerlan Tsarnaev nor his brother Dzhokhar had permission to carry firearms.
He says it's unclear whether either ever applied and the applications aren't considered public records.
But he says the 19-year-old Dzhokhar would have been denied a permit because of his age. Only people 21 or older are allowed gun licenses in Massachusetts.
The Associated Press Contributed to this Report.
- Boston Marathon: World Series Honors Those Lost, Injured
- Boston Marathon Suspect May Pin Blame on Brother
- Boston Bombing Victims Learning to Run Again
- State Arrest Warrant Issued for Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect
- Marathon Bombing Suspect's Lawyers Want More Time
- Boston's Top Cop Stepping Down, Weighing Future
- Marathon Bombing Suspect's Friends Deny Obstruction Charge
- 2 Friends of Suspected Boston Marathon Bomber Indicted
- Last Hospitalized Marathon Bombing Victim Heads Home
- Cop who Leaked Bombing Suspect Photos Disciplined