TIMELINE: Schaffhausen Case, from Start to Finish
A 35-year-old man faces life in prison for killing his three daughters last July at his ex-wife’s home in River Falls, Wis.
After more than three hours of deliberations, a jury found Schaffhausen had a mental disease or defect during the killings of 11-year-old Amara, 8-year-old Sophie, and 5-year-old Cecilia. But Schaffhausen didn't lack the substantial capacity to appreciate the wrongfulness of his conduct or to abide by the law, the jury ruled. The ruling rejected Schaffhausen's insanity defense.
Here’s a timeline of the entire Schaffhausen case:
April 16, 2013: Schaffhausen is found guilty of three murders
April 15, 2013: The Schaffhausen trial wraps up; testimony ends
April 8, 2013: Disturbing details are revealed during the trial
April 5, 2013: Schaffhausen's co-worker was charged with witness threat
April 4-5, 2013: Jessica Schaffhausen testifies during the trial
Aug. 28, 2012: Schaffhausen pleads not guilty
Nov. 21, 2012: Jessica Schaffhausen asked to take the home off the market
Aug. 22, 2012: An additional arson charge was added
July 17, 2012: A memorial service remembers the three girls
July 14, 2012: The girls are remembered during River Falls Days
July 12, 2012: Jessica Schaffhausen releases a statement about the murders
July 12, 2012: Schaffhausen first appears in court
July 12, 2012: Schaffhausen is formally charged
July 10, 2012: Jessica Schaffhausen reports the murders to police
July 10, 2012: Timeline of Schaffhausen’s activities before the murders
- At Issue: State Legislative Session Starts; Obama Visits
- Mother of Schaffhausen Girls Trying to Bring 'More Love Back into this World'
- INTERVIEW: Mother of Schaffhausen Girls Working to Honor Their Memory
- Aaron Schaffhausen Ordered to Pay Ex-Wife $14K in Restitution
- Schaffhausen Home in River Falls is Demolished
- Jurors in Schaffhausen Trial are Reviewing Taped Police Interview
- Graphic Crime Photos Showed in Schaffhausen Trial
- Testimony Ends in Aaron Schaffhausen Insanity Trial
- Dismantling of Schaffhausen House Begins in River Falls, Wis.
- Schaffhausen Home, Land Profits to be Donated in Wis.