RAW VIDEO: Opening Arguments in Aaron Schaffhausen Trial
Opening statements were heard from the defense in the insanity trial of a man who admitted last week that he killed his three daughters in their River Falls home.
Thirty-five-year-old Aaron Schaffhausen pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree intentional homicide, but he maintains he is not responsible because of a mental illness.
Public defender John Kucinski called the murders a "horrible, tragic act" but blamed them on an "extremely rare and complex condition" that he says runs in the Schaffhausen family.
- At Issue: State Legislative Session Starts; Obama Visits
- Mother of Schaffhausen Girls Trying to Bring 'More Love Back into this World'
- INTERVIEW: Mother of Schaffhausen Girls Working to Honor Their Memory
- Aaron Schaffhausen Ordered to Pay Ex-Wife $14K in Restitution
- Schaffhausen Home in River Falls is Demolished
- Jurors in Schaffhausen Trial are Reviewing Taped Police Interview
- Graphic Crime Photos Showed in Schaffhausen Trial
- Testimony Ends in Aaron Schaffhausen Insanity Trial
- Dismantling of Schaffhausen House Begins in River Falls, Wis.
- Schaffhausen Home, Land Profits to be Donated in Wis.