Vatican: Francis Won't Visit Benedict Thursday
The Vatican says Pope Francis won't be calling on his predecessor Pope Benedict XVI on Thursday but would see him another day.
U.S. Cardinal Timothy Dolan told reporters on Wednesday that Francis had planned to visit Benedict on his first full day as pope. Dolan said Francis had informed the cardinals of his plans after his election.
But a Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, said Francis wouldn't make the trip to Castel Gandolfo on Thursday, and probably wouldn't go Friday, either.
The Vatican has said a meeting would occur in a few days.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Priest Gives Used Car to Pope, Who Wants to Drive
- Pope Washes Feet of Young Detainees in Ritual
- Delicate Diplomacy: Pope Meets Argentine President
- Vatican Defends Pope Against What it Calls Anti-Clerical Campaign
- VIDEO: St. Thomas Students Celebrate Pope Francis
- New Style of Papacy: Pope Francis Pays Hotel Bill
- Minnesotans Pray for Pope Francis at Basilica of Saint Mary
- Vatican: Francis Won't Visit Benedict Thursday
- INTERVIEW: UST Student in St. Peter Square for Pope Announcement
- Local Reaction to the Election of Pope Francis