RAW VIDEO: Press Conference Gives Updates on Oakdale Shooting
Oakdale Police Chief William Sullivan gave updates on the fatal shooting of a 9-year-old Monday night.
According to Oakdale Police, 34-year-old Nhan Lap Tran was arrested on suspicion of murder and assault with a firearm around 6:30 p.m. Monday. Tran was staying at his parent's house in the neighborhood where the shooting took place.
Oakdale police believe Tran was randomly shooting at vehicles around the intersection of Seventh Street and Hadley Avenue. Police say it appears Tran fired multiple rounds at four vehicles. He had other ammunition with him when he was arrested, police say.
Police are calling this a "completely random" shooting, and have no reason to believe Tran knew any of the victims.
A woman, later identified as 39-year-old Missy Aryal of Oakdale, was driving her minivan in the area while the man was shooting. Both of her back tires were blown out.
One bullet hit Missy Aryal and multiple bullets hit her son, identified by family as Devin. Missy Aryal pulled into the parking lot of Rainbow Foods, where witnesses say she got out of her van and began screaming for help.
She was wounded in the arm, and Devin was taken to Regions Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Missy Aryal was treated and released from the hospital.
A woman in another car was shot in the hand.
Watch the press conference here.
- Family of Oakdale Shooting Victim Wants Suspect to Get Max
- SLIDESHOW: Funeral for Devin Aryal
- Police Radio Chatter of Oakdale Shootings Released
- Complaint: Suspect in Murder of Oakdale Boy Reloaded Gun
- Police Seek Motive in Oakdale 'Random' Shootings
- RAW VIDEO: Press Conference Gives Updates on Oakdale Shooting
- Prayer Vigil Held in Oakdale After Boy Killed
- Police: Oakdale Boy Fatally Shot Monday Evening