Groupon Halts Gun Related Deals
Groupon has halted gun-related promotions such as deals for shooting ranges and concealed weapons courses in the wake of last month's massacre in Newtown, Conn.
Groupon Inc. spokeswoman Julie Mossler said Tuesday that the move is based on the deals' performance as well as "current customer and merchant feedback." These, she says, have made it "clear they're not a fit right now."
The Chicago company declined to comment further and did not mention the Newtown shootings in its reasoning.
There, 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, 20 children and six educators at an elementary school before shooting himself.
The event has intensified the gun control debate in the U.S. and has led other companies, such as Dick's Sporting Goods, to scale back gun-related business activity, at least temporarily.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Conn. Lawmakers Seek Federal Funds for Newtown
- Medal of Honor Society to Honor Newtown Educators
- Newtown Budget with Extra School Security Rejected
- Director Plans Movie Related to Newtown Shooting
- Newtown School Officials Seek Waiver to Testing
- Groupon Halts Gun Related Deals
- Minister: Somber Newtown Needs MLK's Words of Hope
- Newtown Shooting Survivors Record Song for Charity
- Conn. Group Starts Anti-Violence Effort
- Vote Set to Name Conn. School for Slain Teacher