Visitation Held for Fallen Cold Spring Officer
Family, friends and law enforcement gathered Tuesday evening to remember fallen Cold Spring Officer Tom Decker. A visitation was held at Saint Boniface Catholic Church in Cold Spring.
Decker's body was escorted inside the church shortly after 2 p.m. Family and friends followed behind the casket.
A six-year veteran of the Cold Spring Police Department, Decker leaves behind four young children.
"We worked with Tommy and we've been on calls with him so it's the least we can do is show our respect as a department," said Rockville Firefighter Brian Knapek.
"I always told him, he's in the wrong line of work, he should have been a comedian, just a real funny guy," Richard Beehler said outside the church.
"He loved his family, he loved his children, he loved the farm, he was a jokester, just full of love. He had deep faith," said family friend Janet Thielen.
Members of the public who wish to honor Cold Spring Officer Tom Decker are being encouraged to pay respects along a procession route Wednesday.
Decker was killed Thursday in the line of duty.
Authorities say he was ambushed and shot multiple times when he and his partner were checking on a man's welfare.
Up to 2,000 officers from around the country could attend Decker's funeral Wednesday.
After the service, law enforcement will participate in two processions through the community. The first will include officers and first responders from outside Stearns County. The second will include Decker's casket, family and friends, and all Stearns County officers.
Decker's casket will travel from St. John's Abbey through communities where he worked and lived. A horse-drawn carriage will then bring him to St. Nicholas Cemetery.
Click here for information on a memorial fund for Tom Decker's family.
The Associated Press Contributed to this Report.
- Fallen Cold Spring Officer Tom Decker to be Added to Memorial
- Appointed Receiver to Help Divide Funds for Officer Tom Decker's Family
- Slain Cold Spring Officer's Family Argues over Donated Money
- Man Arrested in Cold Spring Cop Death Pleads in Stalking Case
- Badge Number of Cold Spring Officer Killed Retired
- Cold Spring Retires Tom Decker's Badge Number
- Basketball Tournament Benefits Officer Decker's Family
- MN Might Name Highway for Slain Cold Spring Officer Tom Decker
- Slain Cold Spring Officer Tom Decker's Partner Resigns
- Ryan Larson Released from Wright County Jail