Israel Warns Gazans to Flee Homes with Leaflets
Israeli warplanes have dropped leaflets on several Gaza City neighborhoods urging people to evacuate their homes immediately.
Tuesday's warnings could signal a new round of heavy airstrikes on residential areas in the Palestinian territory.
The leaflets say "For your safety, you are required to evacuate your residences immediately and move toward central Gaza City" and list areas where people should go.
Palestinian militants have urged residents to ignore the warnings, calling them "psychological warfare."
Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi says a cease-fire ending six days of fighting between Israel and Hamas militants is imminent as top diplomats converge on the region.
Israel has dropped such leaflets previously but never over such a wide area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- US Struggles to Get Israel, Palestinians to Talks
- Cease-Fire Begins Between Israel and Hamas
- Israel Warns Gazans to Flee Homes with Leaflets
- Israel-Hamas Cease-Fire Remains Elusive
- Hamas Kills Suspected Collaborators with Israel
- Obama Sends Clinton to Mideast Amid Gaza Crisis