Mayor Says NYC Marathon to Go On in Wake of Sandy
Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the NYC Marathon will go on as planned Sunday after Superstorm Sandy devastated the city.
Marathon organizers had been moving forward with planning but awaited final word from the city about whether holding the race would be safe and viable with flooding, power outages and transit shutdowns still afflicting the five boroughs.
New York Road Runners President Mary Wittenberg said Wednesday that organizers were preparing to use more private contractors than past years to reduce the strain on city services.
Wittenberg insists the race can be an inspiration to New Yorkers and benefit businesses that have lost money because of the storm.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police Up Presence in Sandy-Damaged Sections of NY
- Much of Red Cross Fund for Sandy Aid Still Unspent
- Obama: Jersey Shore is back in business
- Obama to Tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Christie Unveils Buyout Offer to NJ Flood Victims
- Roller Coaster to be Removed from Ocean in NJ
- Stormy Issue of Sandy Aid Settles Down in House
- WEB EXTRA: A Closer Look at Sandy Recovery Aid Package
- Sandy Aid Package Moving Toward House Votes
- INTERVIEW: 'River of Goods' Helps Superstorm Sandy Victims