Man Braves Heavy Smoke to Save Neighbor from Nowthen House Fire
A man on his way to work rescued a neighbor from a burning home in Anoka County Tuesday morning.
Ramsey Fire Chief Dean Kapler says the fire was reported around 6:25 a.m. on the 19000 block of County Road 5 near Nowthen.
Mike Coolidge saw a burning home and stopped to investigate. He broke a window and then busted in the door to get inside to save the woman who lived there.
Coolidge says the smoke was so black and so thick he couldn't see anything. After a couple of deep breaths, he remembered to get to the floor. That's when he saw the woman's white socks about three or four feet from the door.
The 64-year-old woman, later identified as Diann Evans, had burns on her upper body and was suffering from smoke inhalation.
She was flown to Hennepin County Medical Center where she is in critical condition.
Coolidge was taken to Mercy Hospital because he cut his hand and was also suffering from smoke inhalation.
He says he didn't even think twice about going into a burning house. He says he just did what he had to do.
He planned to be back at home Tuesday night after some tests.