Hwy. 61 Closes for Hastings Bridge Project, Draws Big Crowds
After several delays, crews closed Highway 61 to lift the main span of the new Hastings Bridge into place.
The bridge officially closed at 6 a.m. Saturday. MnDOT says it will remain closed until late Monday evening as crews lift the 7 million pound piece of bridge into place.
Drivers should follow the detour using Interstate 494, U.S. Highway 52 and 55.
Other travel restrictions include:
- Lock and Dam Road near downtown Hastings is closed at the boat launch
- A DNR project will limit parking and access near Jaycee Park
- The pedestrian and bike path is closed from Lock and Dam No. 2 and downtown Hastings
- All through-river traffic between Lock and Dam No. 2 and the CP Rail Bridge east of downtown Hastings is suspended
- Lock and Dam Road and the bike path is expected to reopen by 9 a.m., Sept. 22
- Through-river traffic and U.S. Highway 61 is expected to reopen late Sept. 24
For more information, call the Hastings Bridge Project Hotline at 651-775-5244.