Black Smoke Seen Rising above US Embassy in Tunis
A large cloud of black smoke has risen around the U.S. embassy in Tunis where stone-throwing protesters and police are waging a pitched battle.
Thousands of demonstrators have massed outside the embassy and several were seen climbing the outer wall of the embassy grounds and raising a flag on which was written the Muslim profession of faith, an Associated Press reporter on the scene says.
Police responded by firing tear gas, and police gunfire could be heard.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Officials Say Benghazi Suspects Under Surveillance
- Issa Plans Depositions for Mullen, Pickering
- Biden, Kerry Honor Fallen Diplomats
- Senate Passes Bill to Improve Embassy Security
- Police: Suicide Bombing at US Embassy, 2 Dead
- Lawyer: Tunisian Suspect in Libya Attack Freed
- Lawmakers Press for Answers on 9/11 Libya Assault
- Benghazi Review Slams State Department on Security
- Petraeus Believed Terrorists Behind Libya Attack
- Pentagon Timeline Shows Military Response to Libya