Friends, Foes Like Paul Ryan but Disagree on Politics
Paul Ryan's friends and opponents in Wisconsin and his hometown of Janesville are nearly unanimous in describing the congressman as likable and intelligent. However, the common ground ends when it comes to his politics.
Ryan has been tapped as Republican Mitt Romney's running mate. Ryan is perhaps best known around the country as being the architect of a conservative budget plan to remake Medicare and cut trillions in federal spending.
U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson says no one understands the federal budget better than his fellow Wisconsin Republican, who chairs the House Budget Committee.
Democrats including U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin and state Sen. Tim Cullen say their dealings with Ryan have always been cordial. But Baldwin says Ryan's budget plan will take the nation in the wrong direction.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Romney Airs Ads in Wisconsin, Hopes to Expand Map
- Convention Vote Could Alter Minnesota GOP Caucuses
- Boehner Gives High Marks to Romney VP Pick Ryan
- Romney's Choice of Ryan Sets Contours for Campaign
- VIDEO: Source: Romney Picks Ryan for Running Mate
- Statement from Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
- RAW VIDEO: Romney, Ryan Appear Together as Running Mates
- Friends, Foes Like Paul Ryan but Disagree on Politics
- Pawlenty Says He's Excited by Romney-Ryan Ticket
- It's Paul Ryan: Romney Picks Wis. Rep for No. 2