Senser Spends 46th B-day in Prison After 'Incredible Reception'
Amy Senser turned 46 years old on Friday, her first birthday in prison after being sentenced less than two weeks ago for the hit and run crash that killed a Minneapolis chef.
"What she explained to me is that when she got there, she got an incredible reception," Eric Nelson, Senser's attorney, said about his client's arrival at prison July 9.
Nelson visited Senser a week ago as the mother of two was taking part in standard inmate orientation at the state's only prison for women, the Minnesota Correctional Facility in Shakopee.
"She's adjusting and acclimating to prison life," Nelson explained in his first interview since Senser's sentencing. "Her biggest concern is that she has to wear long-sleeve shirts and tennis shoes," rather than enjoying the outdoors in a tee-shirt, he said.
The first time Senser was able to go outside in the prison yard, Nelson said, "she was basically swarmed by all of the other inmates who wanted to meet her and get to know her and offer her advice for her prison life."
Senser was given a 41-month prison sentence for killing Anousone Phanthavong with her SUV on a darkened interstate off-ramp in Minneapolis last year. With good behavior, the Minnesota Department of Corrections says Senser could be released from custody as soon as October 2014.
During the next two years in prison, Nelson said Senser is committed to taking courses, working at a prison job, and volunteering, perhaps to pass along her skills in martial arts or Spanish language to other inmates.
"She's going to spend her time there doing everything she possibly can to make other people better people," Nelson said.
- Amy Senser Complaint
- Court Documents: Amy Senser Case
- RAW VIDEO: Amy Senser's Case Goes Before the MN Court of Appeals
- Oral Arguments Held in Amy Senser Hit & Run Appeal
- Attorney Hospitalization Postpones Senser Arguments
- Amy Senser Takes 1st Step to Overturn Hit-and-Run Conviction
- Joe Senser Lashes Out at Prosecutor After Wife's Court Appearance
- Amy Senser's New Hearing Starts Monday
- Date Set for New Hearing on Senser Release Motion
- Appeals Court Orders Remand of Senser Release Motion