Recount Under Way in Wis. State Senate Recall Race
Racine County has begun its recount in the state Senate recall race that will determine the chamber's majority party.
Fourteen tabulators convened at the county courthouse Wednesday, where County Clerk Wendy Christensen gave them final instructions and let them begin.
Some tabulators reviewed poll books. Others counted the actual ballots, flagging those that weren't properly initialed by poll workers or that had stray marks.
According to state law, the county's Board of Canvass has to finish the recount of the nearly 72,000 ballots by July 2. Christensen says tabulators will work Saturday, and possibly over the following weekend too, but she's confident the board will meet its deadline..
Republican state Sen. Van Wanggaard requested the recount after a canvass showed him trailing Democratic challenger John Lehman by 834 votes.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Wisconsin Gov. Walker to Headline Iowa GOP Dinner
- Wis. Supreme Court to Meet with State Lawmakers
- Walker to Speak at Conservative Group's Meeting
- Walker to Deliver Third State of State Speech
- Wis. GOP Leaders Favor Lower Income Tax Rates
- Walker Talks Mining and Jobs During 3 Stops
- Eliminating Same-Day Registration to be Discussed in WI
- Report Says $69M in Recall Spending Outside Wis
- Wis. Governor Insists He's Not Thinking about 2016
- Walker Outlines Priorities in California Speech