Updated: 07/10/2014 7:20 AM
Created: 07/09/2014 3:43 PM KSTP.com
By: Megan Matthews
Hennepin County prosecutors on Wednesday announced a major break in a cold case involving the brutal murders of a Minneapolis woman and her boyfriend.
A Hennepin County Grand Jury indicted 35-year-old Jason Preston on first- and second-degree murder charges in the case. Carrie Ann Richter, 18, and Dustin Baity, 20, were murdered on Christmas Eve in 1998 in a Northeast Minneapolis home. Both had been strangled and Richter was also stabbed, according to authorities.
Investigators were able to match DNA from a blood drop at the scene to Preston. Hennepin County prosecutors announced the big break at an afternoon news conference. Family of Dustin Baity were also there. They said they hope these new developments will bring them answers and closure.
"Nothing will ever change what has happened or replace all of the lost memories that we all should have shared together," Dawn Baity, Dustin's sister, said. "Hopefully this will help us in starting the healing process."
Preston is currently serving time in a California prison for a home invasion. He's not expected to be released until 2038. At this point, no extradition hearing has been set for Preston to return to Minnesota.
Authorities do not know of a motive in this double murder.