abc
QUICK LINKS:

Fire at South Mpls. Group Home Caused by Pan Melting on Stove

Updated: 03/14/2014 4:38 PM
Created: 03/13/2014 8:09 PM KSTP.com
By: Cassie Hart

Minneapolis fire officials say a two alarm-fire at a group home Thursday night started as a result of a pan being left on the stove.

Fire officials say the pan and it's content melted and then started the cupboards on fire.

Just after 7 p.m., Minneapolis fire crews responded to a report of a fire on the 2500 block of Portland Avenue.

They arrived to heavy smoke coming from the large 2 1/2-story group home. Firefighters found the fire in the rear of the house on the second floor and in the attic. They were able to contain the fire to those areas and put it out.

Three people were rescued from inside of the home. One person was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center for evaluation; the condition was non-life threatening. All others were able to escape without injury.

The Red Cross is helping up to 15 adults and four children who lived in the home.

Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the fire, and no firefighters were injured.

Photo courtesy of Nathan Miller
Photo courtesy of Nathan Miller

Dense Fog Advisory

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Anoka; Ramsey; Washington
Expires: 11/23/2014 6:00 PM

Dense Fog Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Barron; Chippewa; Dunn; Eau Claire; Polk; Rusk; St. Croix
Expires: 11/23/2014 6:00 PM

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Overcast
43°
50° | 25°
  • Feels like: 37° F
  • Wind: WNW 12mph
  • Humidity: 80%
  • Mon Windy with morning snow showers
    25° | 7°
  • Tue More sun than clouds
    24° | 12°
  • Wed Snow showers early
    20° | 6°
  • Thu Mostly sunny
    16° | 10°

Video

KSTP NEWS