Updated: 11/11/2013 2:56 PM
Created: 11/11/2013 10:39 AM KSTP.com
By: Leslie Dyste
Joe Mauer is talking about his move from catcher to first base in 2014. "This is probably one of the toughest decisions I've had to make, but also probably one of the easiest," he said.
He added that he's a little disappointed his catching career had to end like this.
The Minnesota Twins announced Monday that Mauer is making the move to cut down on injury risks. Mauer said another blow to the head could keep him out just as long, if not longer than last year.
Mauer is thinking about life after baseball. He says that he'll be a father and a husband longer than he will be a baseball player.
Twins officials say the position change is in the best interest of both 30-year-old Mauer and the team, a decision they reached after consulting with both Mayo Clinic and team doctors.
Mauer suffered a concussion on Aug. 19 after a foul tip off his mask. He was placed on a “concussion disabled list” and didn’t return for the rest of the season.
Although Mauer no longer has concussion symptoms, Twins officials are concerned about the “inherent risks of future injury at the catcher position.”
Mauer batted .324 with 11 home runs and 47 RBI in 113 games last season and has made six trips to the All-Star Game.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.