Twin Cities Archdiocese to Investigate Allegations of Priest Misconduct
Archbishop John Nienstedt
Photo: KSTP File Photo
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is creating an independent task force to investigate the way church officials have handled accusations of priest misconduct, after one pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct last year and another was recently accused of having child pornography.
In a statement Sunday, Archbishop John Nienstedt said addressing these serious allegations are a "top priority."
"These allegations must be addressed urgently, transparently and with truly independent review," Nienstedt said.
To lead the new review, Nienstedt appointed the Rev. Reginald Whitt, a Dominican priest from the University of St. Thomas law school, to lead the Safe Environment and Ministerial Standards Task Force, which will be made up of at least six lay people appointed by Whitt. He won't be a member.
The task force will review all issues related to allegations of clergy sexual misconduct by conducting interviews and looking at archdiocese documents related to policies and procedures for preventing, investigating and responding to sexual misconduct by clergy, the archdiocese said. The group, whose members are expected to be named by Wednesday, will then come up with recommendations for effective policies.
Nienstedt first mentioned the creation of the task force on Sept. 27, nearly a year after the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer was convicted of sexually abusing two brothers at a St. Paul church. Nienstedt announced specifics about the task force Sunday, days after another priest was accused of possessing child pornography years ago, and the archdiocese's top deputy resigned last week.
The archdiocese said the Rev. Peter Laird's resignation as vicar general had nothing to do with Wehmeyer's case.
Outside of the archdiocesan offices on Monday, members and supporters of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests said at a news conference that they've seen similar panels before.
"They'll shuffle some people. They'll shuffle some titles. And then two years from now, we'll be back here talking about a new case," said Frank Meuers, a Plymouth man who said archdiocesan officials have been unresponsive to his story of abuse at a Golden Valley church in the 1950s and '60s - even after encouraging people like him to come forward.
Former archdiocese employee Jennifer Haselberger issued a statement Saturday calling for an external review of priest files. She resigned from her job as chancellor for canonical affairs in April because of concerns about the way sexual abuse allegations were handled.
Haselberger said she not only talked to church officials about Wehmeyer years ago, but that the archdiocese also failed to report what she believed to be child pornography to police, so she went to authorities herself.
An attorney for the archdiocese said Friday that neither police investigators nor a computer forensics expert found evidence to support her child pornography allegations.
In an email response to a question from The Associated Press, Haselberger said Monday she has a great deal of respect for Whitt.
"At the same time, I believe that a comprehensive, external review of ALL clergy files is essential, followed by the removal from ministry and publication of the names of those who have been determined to have engaged in acts of sexual misconduct, as well as those whom could reasonably be assumed to pose a threat to children and young people," she wrote.
Nienstedt said the task force will operate independently and have full authority and resources to complete its work. Its findings and recommendations will be released publicly when the final report is complete. A timetable was not given.
"There can be no room for misconduct among our clergy and our standard must be zero tolerance for abuse of minors and vulnerable adults," Nienstedt said.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is home to about 825,000 Catholics and encompasses 188 parishes in 12 counties.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- St. Paul Police Reviewing Archbishop Deposition
- Victim Attorney: Fr. McDonough Refused to Answer Final Question in Deposition
- 2nd Top Official with Archdiocese to Give Court-Ordered Deposition
- Church Expert: Recommendations Could Mean Shift in Culture of the Archdiocese
- Appeals Court Orders New Trial for St. Paul Priest
- Twin Cities Archbishop Appears in Civil Suit over Clergy Abuse
- INTERVIEW: How the Latest Developments in Church Abuse Case Impacts Catholics
- Archdiocese Begins Handing over Church Files on Accused Priests
- Archdiocese Given More Time to Produce Files on Accused Priests
- Judge: Archdiocese Must Make Abuse Papers Public