Kerry: Syrian Regime Planned for Chemical Attack
Secretary of State John Kerry
Photo: MGN Online
Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S. knows based on intelligence that the Syrian regime carefully prepared for days to launch a chemical weapons attack.
Kerry says Syrian regime personnel were at the site of the attack for three days beforehand, making preparations.
He says regime elements were told to prepare by putting on gas masks.
Kerry says the U.S. also knows where the rockets were launched from. He says the rockets came from regime-controlled areas.
Kerry also says a senior regime official confirmed that the weapons were used and was afraid it would be discovered.
The U.S. is releasing a public report on intelligence gathered about last week's deadly attack. President Barack Obama is preparing for a possible military strike in response.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FBI Concerned about Development in Terror Recruitment in Minnesota
- Report: 2 Alleged Terrorists were Classmates at Robbinsdale Cooper High School
- On Syria, Obama Faces Questions on Congress' Role
- A Look at the Islamic State Militants in Syria
- Mother of US Reporter in Syria Begs for his Life
- Former Minnesota Man Killed in Syria Fighting for ISIS
- AP Sources: US Surveillance Planes Fly over Syria
- Syria Weapons Moved onto US Ship for Destruction
- Obama Seeks $500M to Arm Select Syrian Rebels
- Syria Hands Over Last of Declared Chemical Weapons