Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial Delayed Again
Jeffery Trevino and Kira Steger.
Photo: KSTP File Photo
A murder trial for Jeffery Trevino, who's accused of killing his wife, has been delayed a second time and is scheduled to start in September.
The defense requested more time to review an autopsy report, which they received a week ago, and phone records. The body of Trevino's wife, Kira Steger (also known as Kira Trevino), was found in the Mississippi River on May 8.
In a motion hearing Monday, the trial was rescheduled for Sept. 16. Families for Trevino and Steger declined to comment about the case in court.
Steger, 30 went missing Feb. 21.
Trevino, 39, reported her missing and police later found her vehicle at the Mall of America parking ramp, where she worked at a store, according to a criminal complaint.
Officers found blood and other evidence at the couple's St. Paul home, the complaint said. Searchers also found evidence in the case at Keller Regional Park in Maplewood near the couple's home.
Steger's body was found in May in the Mississippi River in between Robert Street and U.S. Highway 52 in St. Paul. The location is about 5 miles south of the couple's home.
Her body had a cut above her left eye, injury to her upper lip, a broken index finger and cuts to her liver, the complaint said. The Ramsey County Medical Examiner determined that the cause of Steger's death was homicide.
The discovery of Steger's body led to the amended criminal complaint against Trevino, charging him with two counts of second-degree murder in her death.
The complaint can be found here.
- Jeffery Trevino Sentenced to 27 Years, Kira Steger’s Family Wanted More
- Friends, Family Say Goodbye to Kira Steger
- Kira Steger's Family Plans to Lay Her to Rest
- Court Asked to Toss Jeffery Trevino's Murder Conviction
- INTERVIEW: Defense Attorney Weighs in on Trevino Trial
- NEWS CONFERENCE: Steger Family Speaks Following Verdict in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Kira Steger's Father: Justice Has Been Done
- Testimony: Trevino Concerned About Missing Wife's 'Stuff'
- Judge: Closing Arguments Expected Tuesday in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Expert: Blood Found in Kira Steger's Home