Vigil for Motorcyclist Killed in Police Squad Crash
Ivan Romero and Joselin Torrejon
Family and friends are remembering the motorcyclist who died Friday after colliding with a squad car on its way to the scene of an officer-involved shooting.
Ivan Romero was riding his motorcycle with his girlfriend when he collided with the squad car. Romero was killed in the crash.
Joselin Torrejon was injured and taken to Hennepin County Medical Center. She's in satisfactory condition.
A vigil was held at the site of the crash at the intersection of 26th Street and Blaisdell Avenue Sunday afternoon. Motorcyclists also joined in a memorial ride Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, Minneapolis police are releasing new information about the deadly collision.
"Initial reports from independent witness accounts, accident reconstruction, and video review show that the involved squad was traveling well below the posted speed-limit as it approached the intersection and at the time of impact. It is clear from video evidence that the motorcycle struck the rear passenger side of the squad car as it proceeded through the intersection with red lights and siren both activated," according to police.
Police initially reported that the squad and motorcycle collided at the intersection when the squad ran a stop sign. Police later reported they didn't have all the details and that the investigation is ongoing.
The police squad was responding to the scene where two male officers were shot shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. The officers were in "satisfactory condition" at Hennepin County Medical Center Saturday morning.
The deadly crash is similar to another deadly crash six years ago.
In 2007, two Minneapolis police in a squad car -- who were responding to a chase of several shooting suspects -- collided with Minneapolis Park Police Officer Mark Bedard, who was pursing a suspect on foot. Bedard died nine days later.
- Dash Cam Video Released in Deadly Mpls. Squad vs. Motorcycle Crash
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Police Chief Discusses Fatal Motorcycle Crash
- Dash Cam Video: Deadly Crash Between Mpls. Squad and Motorcycle
- 2 MPD Police Officers Shot During Arrest of Terrance Franklin Receive Purple Heart
- Friends, Family Demand Justice for Terrance Franklin
- Report Shows Chaotic Moments Before Terrance Franklin's Death
- No Charges Against Mpls. Police in Death of Terrance Franklin
- INTERVIEW: Attorney for Terrance Franklin: 'We Believe There's a Cover Up'
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Officers Cleared of Wrong Doing in Shooting
- Terrance Franklin Family Attorney Alleges Cover-Up