Motorcyclist Killed, Passenger Injured in Police Crash ID'd
Ivan Romero (left), Joselin Torrejon (right)
Photo courtesy of Facebook
The victims of a collision with Minneapolis police, who were responding to the scene of an officer shooting Friday, have been identified by friends.
The driver of the motorcycle, Ivan Romero, was killed during the crash at the intersection of 26th Street and Blaisdell Avenue. His passenger, Joselin Torrejon, was injured.
Torrejon was listed in ‘satisfactory’ condition at Hennepin County Medical Center Saturday morning.
Co-workers tell KSTP Torrejon was Romero's girlfriend.
Police initially reported that the squad and motorcycle collided at the intersection when the squad ran a stop sign. Police later reported they don't have all the details, and the investigation is ongoing.
Police released new details about the accident on Saturday night.
"Initial reports from independent witness accounts, accident reconstruction, and video review show that the involved squad was traveling well below the posted speed limit as it approached the intersection and at the time of impact. It is clear from video evidence that the motorcycle struck the rear passenger side of the squad car as it proceeded through the intersection with red lights and siren both activated," according to police.
The police squad was responding to the scene where two male officers were shot shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. The officers were in 'satisfactory' condition at Hennepin County Medical Center Saturday morning.
On Saturday night, the names of the two injured officers were released. Officer Michael Meath has been with the department since 2005, and Officer Ricardo Muro has been with the department since 2001.
The deadly crash between a police squad and a motorcycle is similar to another deadly crash six years ago.
In 2007, two Minneapolis police in a squad car -- who were responding to a chase of several shooting suspects -- collided with Minneapolis park police officer Mark Bedard, who was pursing a suspect on foot. Bedard died nine days later.
- MPD: Gun Found by Homeowner is Forensically-Tied to Terrance Franklin
- Dash Cam Video Released in Deadly Mpls. Squad vs. Motorcycle Crash
- Dash Cam Video: Deadly Crash Between Mpls. Squad and Motorcycle
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Police Chief Discusses Fatal Motorcycle Crash
- 2 MPD Police Officers Shot During Arrest of Terrance Franklin Receive Purple Heart
- Friends, Family Demand Justice for Terrance Franklin
- Report Shows Chaotic Moments Before Terrance Franklin's Death
- No Charges Against Mpls. Police in Death of Terrance Franklin
- Terrance Franklin Family Attorney Alleges Cover-Up
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Officers Cleared of Wrong Doing in Shooting