Motorcyclist Dead, Passenger Recovering After Police Crash
Minneapolis Police responding to officer shooting.
Police -- who were responding to the scene of an officer shooting Friday -- collided with and killed a person on a motorcycle while driving through an intersection in south Minneapolis.
Police initially reported that the squad and motorcycle collided at the intersection of 26th Street and Blaisdell Avenue when the squad ran a stop sign. Police later reported that they don't have all the details, and the investigation is ongoing.
The person killed was a man. A second person on the motorcycle, a woman, was injured in the crash. She was listed in 'satisfactory' condition Saturday morning, according to Minneapolis police.
Co-workers tell KSTP she is the driver's girlfriend.
No further details were released Friday night.
The police squad was responding to the scene where two male officers were shot shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S., McCarty said. The officers are in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.
The suspect, a man, was confirmed dead by police. No other suspects are being sought in the case.
The deadly crash between a police squad and a motorcycle is similar to another deadly crash six years ago.
In 2007, two Minneapolis police in a squad car -- who were responding to a chase of several shooting suspects -- collided with Minneapolis park police officer Mark Bedard, who was pursing a suspect on foot. Bedard died nine days later.
- MPD: Gun Found by Homeowner is Forensically-Tied to Terrance Franklin
- Dash Cam Video Released in Deadly Mpls. Squad vs. Motorcycle Crash
- Dash Cam Video: Deadly Crash Between Mpls. Squad and Motorcycle
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Police Chief Discusses Fatal Motorcycle Crash
- 2 MPD Police Officers Shot During Arrest of Terrance Franklin Receive Purple Heart
- Friends, Family Demand Justice for Terrance Franklin
- Report Shows Chaotic Moments Before Terrance Franklin's Death
- No Charges Against Mpls. Police in Death of Terrance Franklin
- Terrance Franklin Family Attorney Alleges Cover-Up
- RAW VIDEO: Mpls. Officers Cleared of Wrong Doing in Shooting