Volunteers, Police Conduct Separate Searches for Kira Trevino
For the second weekend in a row, family and friends searched Saturday for any sign of Kira Trevino, a St. Paul woman who has been missing since last month. Meanwhile, police acted on a tip and searched a body of water in St. Paul.
Trevino's husband, Jeffery Trevino, 39, is in jail on murder charges.
Kira Trevino, 30, has been missing since Feb. 24. Her body has not been found.
St. Paul Police confirmed that they searched an area on Saturday near Roselawn Avenue East and Arcade Street. Police made it very clear that even though her husband is behind bars, the Trevino case is very much an open one.
"We're still looking for tips, quite frankly. Is it an active investigation, an active search? Obviously we have an individual that's charged in the crime. It's an active investigation and an active search until we find Kira," said Howie Padilla, spokesman for the St. Paul Police Department.
Police have received about 100 tips in the Trevino case. Some have led nowhere, but others have sparked searches, like the one conducted on Saturday.
As of Saturday night, we were still waiting to hear from the St. Paul Police Department on whether investigators found anything significant during their search.
Volunteers - some who never met Trevino - also gathered Saturday afternoon to search the Fort Snelling State Park in St. Paul. The group plans to gather again Sunday to search Crosby Farm Park in St. Paul.
- Jeffery Trevino Sentenced to 27 Years, Kira Steger’s Family Wanted More
- Friends, Family Say Goodbye to Kira Steger
- Kira Steger's Family Plans to Lay Her to Rest
- Court Asked to Toss Jeffery Trevino's Murder Conviction
- INTERVIEW: Defense Attorney Weighs in on Trevino Trial
- NEWS CONFERENCE: Steger Family Speaks Following Verdict in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Kira Steger's Father: Justice Has Been Done
- Testimony: Trevino Concerned About Missing Wife's 'Stuff'
- Judge: Closing Arguments Expected Tuesday in Jeffery Trevino Murder Trial
- Expert: Blood Found in Kira Steger's Home