Unattended Candles Cause of Uptown Fire, Building Destroyed
The three-alarm fire that damaged a condo building in Uptown Friday morning was caused by candles left unattended, according to Minneapolis Fire Investigators.
Flames tore through the eight-unit apartment building on Irving Avenue West and Lake at about 8:00 a.m. The fire started on the first floor and has been ruled accidental.
Firefighters spent hours battling the flames.
Jay Critzer was on his way to work when he noticed smoke coming out of the building. He actually helped some of people living there get out.
"It's really sad ... because the lady that I helped out said that she's been living here for 16 years. This is her whole life and it's all gone," Crizter told KSTP.
One woman was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries related to smoke inhalation.
Demolition crews tore down what was left of the building to prevent it from collapsing.
The Red Cross is helping the displaced residents find other places to stay.