Minn. Mother Pleads Guilty to Leaving Baby to Die
Amy Romero, the Minnesota mother accused of leaving her newborn baby to die in the woods of Sibley county more than a decade ago, pleaded guilty to second degree manslaughter Wednesday morning, accepting double the sentence recommended by state guidelines in exchange for the most serious charges against her being dropped.
As a result of the plea deal that sentenced Romero, 29, to eight years in prison, the charge of first degree premeditated murder, which carried with it upon conviction a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of release, was dismissed.
"The end result," said Sibley County Attorney David Schauer, "is she did acknowledge what she did was wrong, something she wasn't willing to do in the past."
Court documents obtained by 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS last week revealed that Romero told investigators, police, a co-worker, and a former boss that she left the newborn in the Sibley county woods in 2001 hoping, "the coyotes would take her off."
Romero's attorney, Anthony Nerud, acknowledged in a phone interview Wednesday that whether the baby was alive or stillborn, his client, "failed to provide medical attention to the child," and that the failure to do so "was culpable negligence."
Describing it as a "sad, tragic case," Nerud said the plea deal, "was first of all, necessary and, second of all, appropriate."
"Her first baby died," Nerud explained. "It did have a profound impact on her. Did she feel remorse? Absolutely."
Romero was sentenced immediately after pleading guilty on Wednesday. She will serve her time at the state women's prison in Shakopee.
Watch our story above to hear more from the prosecutor and the defense attorney.
Click here to learn more about the "confessions" in the case.