Family of Temple Shooting Victim Arranges Service
The family of a Sikh temple president fatally shot along with five other victims is arranging a joint funeral service in Oak Creek.
Relatives of Satwant Kaleka say the memorial service is open to the community and will be held at Oak Creek High School on Friday morning.
The Kalekas have asked other Sikh families who lost loved ones in the Oak Creek temple shooting Sunday to participate in the service. Kaleka's daughter, Ritu Sharma, tells the Journal Sentinel that it's important that the families mourn in solidarity and support each other.
The traditional viewing includes readings from the Sikh holy book. Later the body is moved to a crematorium where only family and close friends are present.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- First Responder at Sikh Temple Shooting to Retire
- Oak Creek Sikhs Among Guests at White House Event
- Man with Ammo Detained at Sikh Temple
- FBI Asked to Keep Data on Anti-Sikh Hate Crimes
- Officer Shot in Temple Rampage Attends Fundraiser
- Wis. Police to Release Video from Sikh Shooting
- First Lady Meets Sikh Shooting Victims' Families
- Sikh Temple Holds 1st Sunday Service Since Attack
- Obama: Attack at Sikh Temple Assails Religion
- Hundreds Gather for Sikh Temple Shooting Memorial