Advertisement

Why the Prince Death Investigation Might Drag On

April 17, 2017 10:31 PM

The ongoing investigation into Prince's death is a joint effort at the state and federal levels.  

The Carver County Sheriff's Department is heading up the local aspect, and agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration along with U.S. Attorney's Office are in charge at the federal level.

Advertisement

One of the missing pieces authorities seek is the source of the fentanyl, an overdose of which was blamed for the artist's death.  

RELATED: Prince Search Warrants: Key Points We Learned From Monday's Release

Rachel Paulose, an attorney with DLA Piper and former U.S. attorney in Minnesota, said she's not involved with the case but knows what investigators are after.

"A worldwide star died of a fentanyl overdose," she said. "How did that happen? Who gave him those drugs, was it prescribed legally or illegally?"

Paulose pointed out the search warrants present one side of the case so far -- the government's side -- and that the probe is done methodically, out of the public eye, so witness testimony and evidence aren't compromised.

RELATED: Search Warrant: Doctor Admits Prescribing Painkiller to Prince Under Another Name to Protect Star's Privacy

"It's not unusual for criminal investigations to take a year or years depending on the complexity of the investigation, the number of witnesses, the number of defendants, the type of charges and cooperation between state and federal authorities which can affect the timing of investigations," Paulose said.

Carver County officials said Monday there's no indication when the investigation might end.

Credits

Beth McDonough

Copyright 2017 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Advertisement