December 29, 2017 06:08 PM
The man shot by police inside Minneapolis City Hall on Dec. 18 made his first court appearance Friday in connection to a separate shooting during a gun deal earlier in the month.
Eighteen-year-old Marcus Fischer told a Hennepin County judge his health was improving. A bail hearing was set for Jan. 3.
Prior to the hearing, Fischer had remained hospitalized since he was shot by police officers in an interrogation room after being questioned about a northeast Minneapolis shooting that occurred Dec. 13.
The officers had attempted to subdue Fischer after he began stabbing himself while left alone in the room, police say. The officers shot him after those attempts were unsuccessful.
Multiple court hearings on the northeast Minneapolis shooting charges have been rescheduled because Fischer had been "medically unable to attend," according to a court spokesperson.
Fischer was listed on the Hennepin County Jail roster as early as Dec. 21, but remained under supervision at Hennepin County Medical Center.
Fischer was charged two days after he was shot in connection to the Dec. 13 shooting; Fischer told police he helped rob a man who was shot during a botched gun deal, but that he wasn't the trigger man, according to a criminal complaint.
He faces one count of first-degree assault, one count of first-degree robbery and one count of firearm possession after being a delinquent convicted of a violent crime. All are felonies. He faces a maximum 55 years in prison and/or $95,000 in fines.
Michael Oakes and Josh Rosenthal
Updated: December 29, 2017 06:08 PM
Created: December 29, 2017 12:12 PM
Copyright 2017 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company