UPDATE: Noor Released After Posting Bail

March 21, 2018 10:21 PM

The former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of Justine Damond posted bond Wednesday night and was released from jail.

A judge had set bail earlier Wednesday at $400,000 with conditions for Mohamed Noor, who did not answer questions from the media upon his release.


Among the conditions Judge Kathryn Quaintance imposed were no contact with Matthew Harrity, his partner at the scene of the July 5, 2017 shooting, and that he surrender his passport.

Bail without conditions had been set at $500,000.

RELATED: Noor Charged in Damond Shooting; Chief Says Officer No Longer With Department

Noor was charged Tuesday with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in connection to Damond's death. 

He is next scheduled to appear in court May 8.

Hennepin County prosecutor Amy Sweasy argued to keep bail set at $500,000, explaining there were concerns Noor would attempt to flee the country.

In court, Sweasy pointed to an incident in the fall where investigators had concerns he had "fled the jurisdiction." She explained it turned out that had not happened, but that they did hear about a witness who allegedly offered to "hide" Noor.

Noor's attorney, Thomas Plunkett, said the bail request was "outrageous," and asked the court to release Noor without a bail amount.

"Mr. Noor does not pose a threat to the public," Plunkett said at the hearing.

The attorney told the judge the former officer grew up in Minnesota and despite being born in Somalia, Noor has no recollection of calling anywhere else home.

Plunkett also told the judge that during the investigation, Noor had been reliable. Plunkett explained that Noor willingly gave his DNA sample to investigators from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He said that when investigators came to his home and left a card in the door, Noor and his defense team called the investigators back quickly.

Plunkett also said when prosecutors believed Noor had fled, he went to City Hall and showed his face to investigators to prove he was still in the country.

At the hearing, Quaintance urged observers to allow the trial – should one occur – to play out in the court of law, rather than in the media. 

Noor attended the hearing un-handcuffed and behind a glass partition. 


Kirsten Swanson

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Missing Boy in Dodge County Found Dead

Pleasant Weather Continues Wednesday

St. Paul Constructing New $10M Recreation Center in Frogtown

From Jail, St. Paul City Council Candidate says ‘He’s Staying in Race’

Hundreds of Openings at MSP International Airport Job Fair

Family of St. Cloud Cyclist Killed During Race Asks Drivers to Pay Attention to Road