Keillor Says MPR Wrong to Dismiss Him Without Investigation, MPR Insists on Careful Investigation

In this July 26, 2017 file photo, Garrison Keillor, creator and former host of, Photo: AP/ Jeff Baenen, File
In this July 26, 2017 file photo, Garrison Keillor, creator and former host of,

December 07, 2017 09:09 AM

Garrison Keillor says Minnesota Public Radio shouldn't have dismissed him last week without fully investigating what the radio station has called "multiple allegations."

Jon McTaggart, CEO of MPR's parent company APMG, told employees Wednesday that the allegations against the 75-year-old former "A Prairie Home Companion" host covered an extended period of time. He provided no details.


In an email late Wednesday, Keillor told the Associated Press MPR has made an "enormous mistake ... by not conducting a full and fair investigation."

An MPR spokeswoman told AP last week that two people made complaints against Keillor, though only one claimed his behavior was directed at her.

RELATED: Report: MPR Exec Says 'Multiple Allegations' Against Keillor

Keillor's attorney, Eric Nilsson, said Thursday that he knows of only one person making allegations against Keillor. Nilsson says McTaggart must "set the record straight."

RELATED: Sources: MPR Terminates Garrison Keillor after Allegations of Inappropriate Conduct

Meanwhile, on Thursday, MPR insisted it "carefully investigated" complaints from two people of "inappropriate behavior" by Keillor before it terminated its contracts with the creator of "A Prairie Home Companion."

In a statement to The Associated Press, MPR said the complaints came from two people formerly associated with the show. It says they alleged "multiple incidents," though only one claimed the behavior was directed at her.


The Associated Press

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Students of All Ages March For Safer Schools

Heavy Snow Misses Twin Cities, Few Flurries Expected Saturday

1 Dead After Inver Grove Heights Shooting

KSTP Sports' Boys State Hoops Central

Hastings Man Sentenced for 2016 Fatal Hit-And-Run

Over 10,000 People Expected at Local 'March For Our Lives' in St. Paul